Anthropologie, Amis at Bedford Square, Westport, CT

Blue Rock delivered a complete renovation and restoration of the historic 1924 Bedford Mansion and the circa 1920 Westport Firehouse for URBN at Bedford Square in Westport, CT.

The three-story Bedford Mansion, formerly home to the Westport Family YMCA, was converted to an Anthropologie retail store.

Project highlights for Anthropologie include:

  • Installing the grand staircase from the basement to the second floor presented a challenge due to the existing steel conditions, which were out of level. Because of an aggressive schedule, Blue Rock ordered the glazing package from the steel shop drawings in lieu of field verifications. Another challenge was the installation of the concrete treads, which needed to be a random pattern, drilled and epoxy in place.
  • The first-floor gym was grinded to expose the existing stone

The firehouse is now home to Amis Trattoria, a Philadelphia-based restaurant group owned by URBN. Project highlights for Amis include:

  • Major coordination with the mechanical, plumbing, ductwork, fire protection and electrical.
  • The challenge of existing landlord installed equipment that was not in the same locations as shown in the drawings.
  • Blue Rock installed a really nice feature, a German Nanawall System, which are windows that bi-fold on a sliding track.

Blue Rock didn’t perform the exterior building work, but did install nice landscaping beds with steel plates to retain the mulch bed.

At the two locations, the concrete railings didn’t meet code-height requirement so the grades were raised to allow a fall of less than 30”. This was allowed since both are historical buildings.

Bedford Square is an iconic mixed-use development – a retail, dining and residential destination that will further elevate the exposure and draw of downtown Westport, CT.

Amis Back of Bar at Bedford Square, Westport, CT

Amis Kitchen at Bedford Square, Westport, CT

Amis Entrance at Bedford Square, Westport, CT

SEI Investments Farmhouse

SEI Invesetments Farmhouse - BEFORE
SEI Investments Farmhouse – BEFORE
SEI Investments Farmhouse - AFTER
SEI Investments Farmhouse – AFTER

Blue Rock renovated an 18th century farmhouse into a modern gathering place for SEI Investments while maintaining historic details.

The original farmhouse dates to 1744 and includes an addition built in 1799.

Project highlights:

  • Demolished remaining floor joist and roof structure.
  • Installed new reclaimed flooring and heavy timber trusses to create an open concept gathering space. This includes a new 18’ x 13’ glass door and window opening up to a new flagstone patio, seat wall and fireplace.
  • All of the existing windows were replaced to match the look and style of the existing building.
  • A small addition was constructed to house the mechanical equipment as well as provide new restrooms

Built around 1740 and situated near the defunct Perkiomen Railroad, the farmhouse walls literally hold hundreds of years of history. While transforming the weary farmhouse into the IdeaFarm, contractors tearing down drywall uncovered a revised second-edition spelling book, which was inscribed with the year 1799 and the name Thomas Wade (born in 1776 and died in 1870). Caleb Cresson purchased the home in 1862, shortly before Wade died. Cresson was related to the Wetherills, an affluent and legendary family in the Oaks area. The farmhouse’s continued sense of purpose provides opportunities for past reflection and future inspiration.

SEI Farmhouse - BEFORE
SEI Farmhouse – BEFORE
SEI Investments Farmhouse - AFTER
SEI Investments Farmhouse – AFTER