Blue Rock Construction converted an old World War II torpedo shop at the Philadelphia Navy Yard into offices for Urban Outfitters’ IT and Transportation Departments. Originally, the building was constructed in 1904 as an open storage shed.
Scope of the work included:
- Masonry repairs
- Replacement of existing terracotta roof with the new roof matching existing profile and color
- New steel hanging mezzanines
- New window and glazing system to match original profile
- Dry ice blasting of original paint on existing brick
- New mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection
Other building amenities include:
- Two kitchen areas
- Exterior garden
- Exterior patio / social space
- Blue Rock worked diligently with the Navy (neighbor to Building 14) to complete the removal and tie-ins of the exterior utilities located on the Navy’s property.
- The Building 14 project cost was below URBN’s budget.
- The project was completed approximately one month ahead of schedule.
“Urban Outfitters continually places their trust in Blue Rock, and Blue Rock responds by listening to our needs while paying attention to all the details and nuances reflected by Urban Outfitters. Blue Rock goes the extra mile to ensure that the project represents the vision that Urban Outfitters conceptualized. It is in that spirit of teamwork and achievement that Blue Rock continues to be our builder of choice.”
– Dave Ziel, URBAN Chief Development Officer